How to Use the Sports Reference Linker
This tool allows you to automatically (via just a single click):
- Add links to Sports-Reference.com player pages in your blog posts,
- bulletin board posts, and
Note: that due to a request from Google we are now adding nofollow attributes to both the links we put on your pages and also the links that appear from our sites to your site. The links still work, but Google no longer considers them for search result purposes.
Video Explanation of the Process
Add the Bookmarklet
FBref.com Linker Bookmarklet
To add to your browser you need to do one of the two following things.
- Click on, hold, and then drag the link above to your bookmarks or bookmark bar (works in FireFox, Safari, and Chrome). Note that your bookmark bar must be visible (under View or Bookmarks in Chrome, View -> Toolbars in Firefox or View -> Favorites bar in Safari), or
To make sure you've done it right you can test it with player names. If it doesn't work, you can edit the bookmark url which should appear like the following. Note that there are encoded symbols (necessary for the bookmarklet in some browsers) listed below that may not appear when clicking edit. These are of the form %X or %XX).
Linker Limitations and Accent Marks
Also, we do match diacritics like "Mario Mandžukić", but we will also try to match "Mario Mandzukic" and get that linked. However, a partially correct rendering, like “Mario Mandzukić
How to Use this with Blogs or Bulletin Boards
See a list of supported blog software below.
PLEASE SAVE ANY WORK prior to using the bookmarklet. While we have made a serious effort to never lose any of your content, we can not make any guarantees.
Generally, the easiest way to use the tool is to just write up your post in the blog text box and click the bookmarklet in your brower. The tool grabs the text you wrote, runs it through our player linker and returns the text with links enclosed.
When using with blogs or bulletin boards for adding links to posts while composing, you must click the bookmarklet while using the "Edit Html" or "Html" view rather than the "Visual", "Rich Text", or "Compose" View. You can switch back and forth from the two views, so you can write in the Visual view, switch to the HTML view and click the bookmarklet.
- Save your draft
- Change into HTML view if needed
- Click the linker bookmarklet
- A Working notice should appear, and when it disappears all of the player names should be linked.
Currently Supported Webpages and Software
- MovableType Enterprise 4 (may also work in 5, but have not tested)
- Request support for other software
- Names inside of links will be matched as well, to avoid this write something like "Eden Hazard" with two spaces rather than "Eden Hazard" with one space. It will render the same way in HTML since extra spaces are collapsed by default.
- Player names will be bolded and linked automatically.
- Names with multiple associated players will go to the search engine results for that name or to the common choice for that name.
- Search is by longest names to shortest names
- No matching will occur across hard line returns.
- A name with a </a> after it will not be matched, so it won't overwrite existing links.
FBref.com launched (June 13th) with coverage for England (5 leagues), France (2 leagues), Germany (3 leagues), Italy (2 leagues), Netherlands (2 leagues), Spain (3 leagues), and the United States (3 leagues). We have many more leagues, but are vetting them and will release them as they are prepared.
Note that player records are likely not complete for their careers. Players may come from or move to leagues we don't currently cover. This issue will go down over time, as we add new leagues and seasons. Eventually, you'll be able to see Alexis Sanchez's stats in the Chilean Primera or maybe even Johan Cruyff's career stats. We will never in the future have less data than we do today. Because we are launching with a small set of countries, FBref will be ad-free for the entire year after its launch. The only payment we will ask for is that you let us know if you find an issue, so we can get better and better.
You can sign up to receive an e-mail when new countries and features launch.
For more information, see our Launch Blog Post, the overall leagues/competitions page with details on leagues and seasons we include, or our About Page. Let us know if you find an issue or have a suggestion.
FBref is one of seven Sports-Reference.com sites.